Quiz Buzzer System

Quiz Busser System

Quiz Busser System

Last Christmas I built a Quiz Buzzer System for my mother. She is a big fan of television quizzes and love to organize some with her friends and family. The particularity of this project is that you can choose your team buzzer sound from a list of more than 30 digital sounds.

The system is composed of a main console, 8 buttons, a power supply and a set of telephone cables. The core of the console, built in a plastic project box, is made of an Arduino Duemilanueve micro-controller coupled with an Adafruit wave shield. The 8 buttons are made out of small project boxes and arcade buttons, again from Adafruit. The buttons are connected to the main console using telephone jack and cables.

For this project I am using all the IO available on a standard Arduino board. I even have to use the pins #0 and #1 to achieve my goal. To drive the buttons LEDs I am using a 74HC595 shift register chip. To drive the control panel LEDs without using additional IO pins I am using two 74LS32 OR gate chips. Finally, to drive the cluster of LEDs I am using a L293 driver chip.

To change your team buzzer sound you maintain the main console button pressed and push any button of the team who wants to change it’s buzzer sound. Every tie you push the team button, the next sound in the list is played. When you find the perfect sound for your team you release the main console button and voilà …

You can find the Arduino source code on my Github at https://github.com/pchretien/quiz.

Tags: , , , , , , ,

18 Replies

Trackback  •  Comments RSS

1. Tony says:

Nice job!

2. Mike says:

Any chance I could commission you to build me a set?

3. Christopher says:

Philippe,

Wow! Your quiz buzzer set looks incredible. You must be busy, but is there any way you could publish your schematics and any more details on how you constructed the set? I would really like to give it a try. In any case, your description and photos are inspirational at the least.

4. Luis says:

I’m interested in the boxes you used. I’ve got a project for my wedding nearly complete, but I need a good case. Right now, I’m just using a cardboard box, but that will not do for the final version.

Thanks.

• pchretien says:

Hi Luis,

I bought my boxes in a local electronic surplus store but you can find many websites selling these. Search for “electronic project box” and you will find what you want.

Good luck with your project … and wedding,

Phil

5. Dan says:

I too would love to see schematics for this project. It’s the best looking DIY quiz system I’ve seen around. Did you ever end up posting them anywhere?

Post a Reply